Different Ways to Make a Kid Love Reading
There is only one way to increase the awareness and IQ level in children. They can get higher IQ levels only through the reading habit. The children should not read the book just for doing the assignments and homework. Instead, they should love and enjoy reading the books. Most parents get the board books in the hope that their wards would read them all. That is not always the case. This exercise only helps their wards to increase the reading score, not overall school performance. Only very few of them get the required skills to raise their IQ levels.
The habit of reading never really gets ingrained in childhood, as they get distracted very easily. Your kids love shuffling through pages to look at the pictures in books as toddler. They may even enjoy reading as elementary school-going children. Life offers so many other avenues for children to entertain themselves. Hence, the reading may become more like work than play for them. They never get to that ecstasy level where reading a book is more fun than anything else. Hence, we need to inculcate this habit with great labour in our children early in their lives.
- Read to your children from the earliest age: Every child would listen to story at the bedtime. Just read to them stories from a book for children. While doing so, take time to effectively narrate the stories to them. You can always hold back the information and tell them to read the books to get more information. Buy storybooks as some of your child’s first toys. Whenever you get some break, grab a book from the diaper bag you carry and read the stories to your child.
- Begin visiting the library regularly: Some children get fascinated by seeing others reading books. Hence, you can try visiting the nearby library regularly with your child. You can use the time in the library to read and narrate stories to him. The kids would never sit still at library. However, he would sit and listen if he likes the story. Keep library books on a separate shelf in the living room or kitchen so you don’t lose them. By arranging this way, you can always easily find something new book for reading to the child.
- Read to your children as often as possible: While reading stories to children, always take pain to simplify the situations in them. One such time when you can try is to make them sit before the food. You should make the children understand that listening to the reading is just like listening to a radio. When they listen, they can look at the food and savor its taste. Occasionally, you can show the pictures depicted in the story books to them. This would make them listen and force them to stay in one place.
- Don’t push your children to learn to read: Don’t force your children to learn reading. If they get interested in knowing more things, they will try to learn reading after getting the preliminary skills. Your goal is not to help them sound out words. Instead, you are expected to instill a love for books in them.
- Don’t stop reading to children once they learn to read: Read to your children even after they acquire the reading skills. This would help them to stay interested in reading.
- Encourage children to ask questions: While reading out stories to your children, you can expect questions from them. This would give you an opportunity to open up a friendly discussion with them about values they have learned and choices they have come across in their lives.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/