Facts about Firming Skin
If you’re in the market for a firming cream, knowing the truth about firming creams can stop you from wasting your money on products that don’t work.
- Elastin is what allows skin to “bounce” back into place. When elastin is damaged, the skin begins to sag. This sagging combined with sun damage can cause crepe paper-like skin.
- During early childhood, skin makes lots of elastin, but older skin makes almost none.
- Sun damage and age degrade elastin.
- Most firming creams are a waste of money. They don’t contain ingredients that can actually firm or tighten skin.
- Many skin-care products contain collagen or elastin, but the collagen and elastin in these products cannot behave the same way as the collagen and elastin in your skin. Nor can it help rebuild or reinforce sagging skin.
What Does Work to Firm and Tighten Skin?
Firming creams claiming to tighten skin create their effects with ingredients that can make the skin temporarily feel tighter. But skin “feeling” tighter is not the same as making a real improvement in the tone of your skin. Here’s what really works to get the results you want!
- Build more collagen. Collagen helps support skin so that sagging is less apparent. You can help skin make lots of collagen with skin-care products that contain potent antioxidants and skin-repairing ingredients. 2. Sunscreen rated SPF 25 or greater. Because sun damage destroys elastin and collagen, daily sun protection is critical. Forgetting to apply sunscreen to your neck is the one main reason why many women’s necks look “older” than their faces. Anti-aging skin care doesn’t stop at your face. 3. Daily use of an exfoliant containing a well-formulated beta-hydroxy acid or alpha-hydroxy acid can really help. Aside from just creating smoother skin, there is also a good amount of research showing these ingredients build more collagen and can help firm the skin.
- Retinol can improve the elastin your skin still has, as well as build more collagen.
- Medical procedures such as lasers and other light therapies can have impressive skin-firming results! Rather than spending money on expensive firming creams and facials, you could set those funds aside and in a few months afford these types of treatments from a dermatologist.
- When all else fails (or simply doesn’t give you the results you want), it’s time to consider cosmetic surgery. Various types of face-lifts can make a dramatic difference without making you looked “pulled too tight,” and when combined with your perfect skin-care routine, the results can be nothing short of show-stopping!
There you have it! Although it’s not the best news, it’s not the worst, either. Skin firming and tightening from skin-care products is possible.