Turn Up The Heat With Summer Tacos
Hot summer days bring backyard get-togethers. If you want to impress your guests and attempt something different than burgers, give these colourful shrimp tacos a try. The salsa combines Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit and jalapeños for the perfect combination of sweet and spicy. The kiwifruit is rich in nutrients, including potassium and vitamin C, while using nonfat Greek yogurt cuts back on unwanted calories.
Shrimp Tacos with Kiwi Salsa
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 2 Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 2 tbsp red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 jalapeño, diced
- 1 lime
For Avocado Crema
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Combine kiwifruit, scallions, red onion, cilantro, garlic and jalapeño in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and squeeze in juice of one lime. Stir to combine and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mash avocado into a paste. Add yogurt to create your crema. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Remove tails from shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Add to hot pan. Cook shrimp on each side for 3 to 4 minutes until cooked through.
- Create your tacos by layering avocado crema, kiwi salsa and warm shrimp.
SOURCE: News Canada