Are you a woman that only does cardio at the gym or only walks/runs outside and never lifts weights? Here are some reasons that will help you change your mind. Firstly, as a woman ages she naturally loses muscle mass which slows her metabolism down. This in turn causes us to gain weight more easily. It is known that every pound of muscle on our body burns approximately 30 calories per day. If that does not convince you to lift weights then how about the fact that lifting weights can help you reduce your risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes and osteoporosis. It can also help relieve anxiety and depression. So the next time you are feeling blue and are headed to the kitchen turn around and pick up your weights!
Here is your quick workout:
Warm-up: walk up and down the stairs or march on the spot for 2 to 5 minutes
30 lunges on each side
20 bicep curls
20 overhead shoulder presses
20 bent over rows
30-60 seconds plank
Cool-down: some gentle stretching. Make sure you hold each stretch (without bouncing) for at least 20 to 30 seconds each.
The benefits of weight training are great as long as you do each exercise correctly and don’t end up hurting yourself.
Here are some tips to keep it safe:
- Never lock a joint. Keep your elbows and knees slightly bent.
- Keep your knees slightly bend when lifting upper body weights, this takes pressure of your back.
- Keep your wrists flat; this will avoid any wrist injuries.
- Never over lift; work within your limits. Over lifting can cause injury.
- Keep your shoulders and neck relaxed.
- Don’t hold your breath. Exhale on the exertion.
- Lift weights at a slow and steady pace.
You do not need a lot of time; try this workout 3 times a week. Make sure to give yourself 24 hours rest before working the same muscle group. Enjoy your workout!