One of the best ways to ensure that a plan you designed will work is to allow your creativity to flow.
One of the best ways to ensure that your mind is open to new ideas is to allow your creativity to flow.
And, one of the best ways to ensure that your creating a strategy that is innovative and fresh is to allow your creativity to flow.
Being creative enables you to use the power of your imagination to conjure up new thoughts and ideas and see the world a bit differently. It makes problem solving easy peasy. And, all of this goes back to me speaking about the necessity of using your whole brain when you work.
Let’s try it out.
For the next 3-minutes, I want you to use your imagination. Know that your brain will be thanking me for this later as it will be like a reflexology massage to its core.
Are you ready?!? Great! Take out a pen or pencil, and a piece of paper, preferably in a journal or something you refer to regularly.
Now, I want you to outline your ideal day from morning to night. Write down everything you want to happen in your day. Choose activities that you enjoy doing and schedule them as if money was not a factor.
Here are a few examples —
- Projects you’re excited to work on
- Spending time with people you love
- Donating your time and talents to a cause you’re passionate about
- Hiking, biking, or just being outside
- Lounging on your deck and basking in the sun
- Reading a book
- Heading out to a yoga or Pilates class
- Playing a round of golf
- Enjoying a massage at the spa
So, what does it look like?
- Maybe you’re calling the shots in your ideal day and have a team of awesome people who work with you.
- Maybe you’re having lunch with your best friend at that cool café you’ve had on your to-do list to try out for ages.
- Maybe you’re finishing up the final touches on your new manuscript that you know will be on the NY Times bestseller list.
- Maybe you spend time at the food pantry packing bags to be delivered to families in need.
- Maybe you scheduled in time to spend with yourself just thinking about how fabulous your life is.
Whatever your ideal day looks like, you probably get excited just looking at the schedule. I know I am! Just doing that exercise stretched your mind to consider the possibilities. It stepped out of the linear and you colored outside the lines! So, now for the million-dollar question…If you know what you really want to be doing every day, why aren’t you doing it?
Wait a minute. Is this a trick question?!? Breathe. I know that when you read my question, reasons were popping up in your mind like popcorn kernels put in the microwave. You may have thought…
- “My partner would never let me… “
- “That’s crazy. I don’t have time to do that… “
- “My full-time job takes every ounce of energy I have and I’m completely empty at the end of the day… “
- “I can’t change direction now. I have healthcare and a pension to think about… “
And, the list goes on and on…
Let me tell you a little secret. None of those reasons are real. They are simply stories we tell ourselves to keep us safe. If you can come up with a possibility, you can come up with a way to make it happen. Negative mind chatter is one of the only things that keeps you from living your ideal lifestyle. You are always just one degree away from stepping into something new that would make all the difference.
Albert Einstein said, “Creativity is intelligence having fun!” So, pay attention to where your work is rote and boring and take the creativity challenge.
ACTION ITEM: The Upside Challenge of the week is to look at the areas in your life and work where you need to infuse a bit more creativity. I promise you’ll thank me for it later. Do something creative every day. Talent works, genius creates. The world needs you and your genius. Remember, people follow the person first, then their great plan. Be someone worth following.