Simplify Weekday Dinners With Easy-To-Cook Staples
Go to Simple Dishes for a Busy Family
We all dream of creating gourmet meals worthy of Food Network stardom – filled with decadent, hard-to-pronounce ingredients and rich flavour profiles. But this dream is hard to turn into a reality at the end of a long and busy weekday.
Between after-school hockey practice and dance classes, parents have enough activities to juggle before adding grocery shopping to the list. According to a recent study released by the maker of Minute Rice, eight-in-10 Canadian women are too busy to grocery shop as often as they’d like, so they rely on stocking their pantry with staples like olive oil, instant rice, or pasta to solve their dinnertime dilemmas.
For a flavourful, simple dish that is a go-to for a weekday win, try this eight-ingredient recipe from Christina Dennis, mom of three and lifestyle and food blogger from Alberta, who knows that the key to a weekday win is stocking your pantry with wholesome essentials.
Chicken & Mushroom Mock Risotto
c/o Christina Dennis, Thediymommy.com
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh mushroom, sliced
- 2 cups Minute Rice Premium Instant Long Grain White Rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1 cup cooked chicken breast, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a pan on the stove on a medium heat setting. Add onion and garlic and sauté until onion is clear.
- Stir in mushrooms, and sauté until golden brown.
- Add rice and stir for about 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in chicken broth and stir entire mixture until it’s thick, about 5 minutes.
- Turn heat down to a low setting and stir in cream cheese and cooked chicken breast. Cook for about 2 more minutes or until the cream cheese is incorporated and chicken is warm.
- Serve with a sprinkling of chopped green onion or parsley.
For more mom-sourced and approved recipes that will surely be a weekday win with your family, visit ThirdoftheWay.ca.
SOURCE: News Canada