Combine everyone’s two favourite takeout orders into one homemade meal you can feel good about serving, thanks to a 50:50 split of mushrooms and beef paired with veggies.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 8 oz fresh button mushrooms
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 packet mushroom seasoning blend
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 ball prepared pizza dough
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheddar blend
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- Place the mushrooms in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse until finely chopped. Heat the oil in a large, nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the mushroom mixture, ground beef, seasoning blend, salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes until mixture is browned.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C). Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface into an 18 x 12-inch rectangle, then transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Stir the tomato sauce with the barbecue sauce and spread over the dough. Sprinkle cheese over the sauce; top with mushrooms mixture, tomatoes and red onion.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden. Stir the mayonnaise with the mustard. Sprinkle the lettuce over the pizza and drizzle with mayonnaise mixture. Cut into portions and serve immediately.
Tip: Place the mayonnaise mixture into a plastic resealable bag and snip off a small portion of the corner. Pipe the mixture over the pizza to get an even drizzle.
Learn more about blending mushrooms into your meals at www.mushrooms.ca.
Source: News Canada