Beautiful Hair Is Rooted In The Scalp
Aveda Introduces NEW Prama¯sana™ Scalp Care
Chances are you have a multi-step skin care routine, but when it comes to the skin under your hair (that would be your scalp), you don’t do a single thing. Fortunately, the new 96% naturally derived* Prama¯sana™ Scalp Care from Aveda™ The Art and Science of Pure Flower and Plant Essences, which is composed of an Exfoliating Scalp Brush, Purifying Scalp Cleanser, and0 Protective Scalp Concentrate (as well as a Nourishing Scalp Masque, available as an in-salon treatment only), builds the foundation to beautiful hair—namely, a clean, healthy scalp. “Effective scalp cleansing can help normal skin cell turnover. Deep cleansing encourages a clean, healthy scalp,” says Dr. M. Julie Thornton, Ph.D., University of Bradford in the UK. Inspired by Ayurveda, the ancient healing art of India, Prama¯sana™ is a combination of the Sanskrit words, ‘Prama’ (foundation) and ‘Asana’ (position in yoga) and embodies the concept that a clean, healthy scalp helps position your hair for great beauty. “Your scalp is simply an extension of your facial skin,” says Justina Mejia Montane, Vice President, Global Product Development at Aveda. “And just like your face, your scalp needs cleansing, balancing, and protection. Consider your scalp the soil from which your hair grows. Once you think of it that way, it shouldn’t be hard to understand why you might need to be giving it a little extra care.”
AWAKEN YOUR SCALP
The Prama¯sana™ collection includes:
- EXFOLIATE with Prama¯sana™ Exfoliating Scalp Brush
To get the most out of the collection — which was designed for dry, oily, and normal scalps alike—start with the Exfoliating Scalp Brush, a flexible, looped bristle brush to be used in conjunction with dry brushing techniques to loosen impurities and build up prior to cleansing and increase micro-circulation to the scalp when used with massage.
- CLEANSE with Prama¯sana™ Purifying Scalp Cleanser
A 97% naturally-derived*cleanser that deeply yet gently purifies the scalp with plant derived cleansing agents while wintergreen derived salicylic acid exfoliates leaving the scalp invigorated and refreshed. The Purifying Cleanser should be used in the shower, every time before you shampoo your hair to instantly balance sebum levels creating a clean scalp foundation. Cleanse your scalp. Shampoo is for hair.
- BALANCE & PROTECT with Prama¯sana™ Protective Scalp Concentrate
A 96% naturally derived* lightweight serum that penetrates the surface layers of the scalp to nourish and help preserve the scalp’s natural protective barrier, while helping protect from pollution and other free radicals. Apply the Protective Scalp Concentrate (consider it akin to the serum step in skincare) directly to the scalp after showering, while hair is still damp.
- IN SALON with Prama¯sana™ Nourishing Scalp Masque
A 98% naturally-derived*creamy, rich and conditioning professional only treatment that simultaneously purifies and nourishes the scalp and hair when massaged in, helping to create a clean scalp foundation for beautiful hair. Scalp is left refreshed and cooled, and hair is left soft with a natural looking shine.
The Prama¯sana™ collection is formulated with an exclusive blend of ingredients including:
- Seaweed Extract, helps control and balance sebum levels on the scalp.
- Lactobacillus, patented ferment helps preserve the scalp’s natural protective barrier.
- Tamanu Oil, a known anti-oxidant that helps to protect the scalp from pollution and other free radicals.
THE AWAKENING SCALP RITUAL
The Prama¯sana™ Collection can be used at home during the Awakening Scalp Ritual. “The more circulation you bring to the scalp and follicles, the better,” says Marc Zollicoffer, Director of Professional Spa Education at Aveda.
“Consider the brush as a massage tool, using small circular motions and focusing your work on the scalp, rather than the hair. The beauty of the Prama¯sana™ Exfoliating Scalp Brush is that it was designed with looped bristles which are great for massaging your scalp without tangling your hair.”
- To stimulate the scalp at the roots, brush from the hairline to the crown of the head in an upward motion. Repeat covering the entire scalp.
- With a repeating downward motion or arc, massage the right side of the scalp for 15 seconds covering the entire right side. Repeat on the left side.
- Gently press the brush into the scalp starting from the back bristles of the brush moving the pressure to the front bristles in a rolling motion. Cover the entire scalp.
- Gently tap the brush on the scalp covering the entire scalp.
WHAT’S THE AROMA
A clean, fresh Pure-Fume™ aroma featuring grapefruit, neroli, and cypress.
- Prama¯sana™ Exfoliating Scalp Brush ($25.50 CAD): has looped nylon bristles that provide cushion for gentle scalp massage and exfoliation without tangling the hair. The handle is made from 100% recycled polypropylene (up to 85% is post-consumer) and is housed in a 90% PCR unit carton.
- Prama¯sana™ Purifying Scalp Cleanser ($42 CAD,150ml): is housed in a 150ml bottle made with a minimum 75% post-consumer HDPE and up to 25% bioplastic (which is 96% plant-derived and 4% petrochemical) with twist open close cap.
- Prama¯sana™ Protective Scalp Concentrate ($57 CAD, 75ml): is housed in a 100% post-consumer PET bottle with bulb dropper in a 90% post-consumer unit carton.
- Prama¯sana™ Nourishing Scalp Masque (500ml, Professional Only): is housed in a 500ml bottle designed to be used at the back bar in a salon. The bottle is made of a minimum 49% post-consumer HDPE and up to 51% bioplastic (which is 96% plant derived and 4% petrochemical) with a flip top cap.
SOIL TO BOTTLE
For centuries, South Pacific islanders have used tamanu oil to soothe skin. When we learned it can also help protect from pollution and other free radicals, we knew it would be ideal for new Prama¯sana™ Scalp Care. Our purchase of tamanu oil gives villagers who gather the nuts on Malekula Island an additional source of income. We also support** their work to conserve the threatened reef that protects their island. Learn more at aveda.com.
Exfoliating Scalp Brush ($25.50 CAD)
Purifying Scalp Cleanser ($42 CAD)
Protective Scalp Concentrate ($57 CAD)
New Prama¯sana™ Collection is available as of April 30, 2017 in Aveda Experience Center retail stores, Aveda Salons and Spas.